Wednesday, February 29, 2012

March

Grey skies outside and more rain promised… Perfect weather for drawing!!

I recently posted this A5 pencil study on Etsy Worksonpaperart I’d mentioned in an earlier post that I’ve accumulated a largish collection of dried specimens and intended to draw each one - this is my second attempt… I started on this subject last year and it wasn’t successful. This time everything seemed to fall into place.
DSC06345.JPGseedpodfeb2012incomplete DSC06348.JPGseedpodfeb2012etsy  Seedpod Study I
Pencil on Arches HP paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2012
The other A5 leaf and pod study (first dried specimen). As usual I’ve been struggling with the tonal balance and have put it to one side - still undecided…
DSC06346.JPGseedpodstudyandleaves3
Seedpod and Leaf study I
Pencil on Arches HP paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2012
An enquiry regarding one of my A3 prints on Etsy has seen me delving into piles of neglected drawings. I’ve begun reworking two of them – not so much change - rather fine tuning. I’ll post the results here soon. I was surprised to discover at least twenty unfinished pieces, though not all are salvageable. I can see quite clearly how my work has been developing over the past few years – it’s very interesting.
Until next time - have a lovely weekend.

10 comments:

  1. wonderful seed pod studies,you just lost a bit of the highlights in the second one maybe;best to put it aside for a few days.
    I love looking at old work-you really do see improvements over the years. xxx
    Having a break from blogging at the moment as I seem to have a bit of artists block!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Claire. You're quite right re. the highlights - to be resumed... :) I'm sure your artists block will pass soon and I look forward to seeing some lovely new paintings. x

      Delete
  2. Lovely work there Hedera. I do like a bit of graphite work. You so rarely get to see this medium being used for final pieces these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jessica. Drawing was my major at art school and it was always taken for granted that our studies were finished works... I love seeing graphite used in final pieces too :)

      Delete
  3. You do draw so beautifully. You always inspire me to pick up my pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette - I couldn't ask for a better response to my work :)

      Delete
  4. Your drawings are amazing! Every time I see them I think I need to get back into it but somehow I just don't seem to find the time. I can't sit down and draw when I have an hour or so spare, I need to have more time to just let it flow... Sorry about my ramblings here :-) Thanks so much for your lovely comment on my birthday, I had a great day :-) Have a good week ahead, Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Carole :) I know just what you mean - it takes time to settle in without distraction. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your birthday :) Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete