"Phormium cookianum - seed pods"
graphite on paper
graphite on paper
copyright Denise I Ryan 2009
Welcome to my second blog which will focus primarily upon my botanical drawing.
I'm most interested in detailed botanical pencil studies - in particular highly sculptural plant forms, and for the past two years I've been concentrating upon the New Zealand native flax - "Phormium cookianum" ( Maori name Wharariki), precisely because the seedpod form is so striking at every stage of its development.
I've attached my favourite image from the series "Phormium cookianum" - seed pods, a work in graphite on Canson acid free drawing paper (220gsm) 297 x 420 mm. I was lucky enough to have this drawing accepted by the UK Society of Botanical Artists for their Annual Open Exhibition in 2009 - a great honour. See artist and writer Katherine Tyrell's wonderful Making a Mark blog for an excellent review of this exhibition. Congratulations to Katherine for having two works accepted for this year's prestigious Silver Jubilee Exhibition - opening 0n the 16th of April 2010 in London. It should be a wonderful display of the highest order.
No comments:
Post a Comment