Friday, May 21, 2010

Canberra Botanical

I've just received an invitation by post to submit work into Canberra Botanical 2010 http://www.csiro.au/events/Canberra-Botanical-2010.html . I've taken part in this exhibition on several occasions, but it's always a special pleasure to be invited. The juried exhibition has been an annual event on the Canberra calendar for eight years, and this year Jenny Phillips http://www.jennyphillips.org/ the well known Australian botanical artist, international tutor and founder of the Botanical Art School in Melbourne will open the event.

One of Jenny's watercolours featured in "A New Flowering - 1000 Years of Botanical Art" held at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford in 2005. The exhibition was curated by Shirley Sherwood and also featured two well known New Zealand artists - Susan Worthington and Bryan Poole http://www.etchart.co.uk/  The catalogue for this exhibition was the first botanical book I purchased, and I remember being staggered and inspired by the images. I've since had the opportunity to view some of Bryan Poole's botanical lithographs at a local gallery, and remember being very impressed with his hatching technique - the skill involved is really impressive. If I'd had a few extra pennies in my purse on the day... there was a "Pineapple" study in particular.

Right now I need to make a decision as to whether I submit a finished work, or start a completely new piece. I found a dried sprig when out walking a few weeks ago - the delicate and intricate form is beautiful - and it's a definite possibility. In past years I've submitted several other highly detailed pencil studies, including "Dried Protea" (see below) which was an extremely challenging piece because of the complexity of the spiralling form. As I've mostly been concentrating upon my craft work of late, this'll also be a challenge - settling down to the rigours of a new botanical study.

                    
"Dried Protea"
Pencil on Bockingford paper
Copyright Denise I Ryan 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment