"Cabbage" by Paul Fennell (see members at http://www.soc-botanical-artists.org ) is equally beautiful, with wonderful movement and spatial depth. Another SBA artist whose work has (for me) the same 'dramatic' quality is Scottish artist Fiona Strickland.
"Protea studies"
Pencil on Bockingford paper
Copyright (All Rights Reserved) Denise I Ryan 2010
Finally today I thought I'd include a few pics from a second Protea study I've been working on. An artist friend once told me that they couldn't go back to the same subject again and again as I do - but as I'm determined to master the intricacy of the form, revisiting the plant is the best possible way for me to do this. This time I'm concentrating on simplifying my approach and maintaining good tonal contrast - something I struggled with when working on the previous drawing (see previous blog). Already I feel that this unfinished work is more successful...
No comments:
Post a Comment