I find watercolour quite a challenging medium, and I wasn't entirely sure about the result of my efforts. It's amazing what time can do for your perspective isn't it! When I looked at the drawing again the other day after many months, I was quite matter of fact about what needed to be done - it really was just a matter of tidying up a few edges, placing my signature in an appropriate place and that was that! At least I think...
The leaf is a Fatsia japonica and had been lying in the garden for a week before I picked it up. It was yellow and starting to wither and brown when I began the study. It is such a beautiful shape and I was intrigued by the changes in colour and texture, very much wanting to capture these effects on paper...
Image Copyright Denise I Ryan 2009
"Fatsia japonica leaf studies"
Watercolour on Arches paper
Copyright Denise I Ryan 2009-2010
What a fascinating process Denise. I love this post, it is so interesting. Your detail and capturing of light is just exquisite! I look forward to more posts like this, I love watching the process... :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Louise - I really do appreciate your thoughts and comments...
ReplyDeleteWhat a great subject. Your painting is fabulous. Great detail and a lot of motion. I actually like it better than the real leaf. You gave it character!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Eva - it's wonderful to receive such lovely objective and encouraging observations.
ReplyDelete