I stood at my easel for the first time in months the other day. This is unusual for me, as over the past year I've gotten into the habit of drawing at the kitchen table which is where I do all of my craft work. Standing at an easel is so much better for the posture, and I felt a lot more energetic working this way - which is a good thing after an overlong winter and not a lot of physical exertion! I think the renewed energy is reflected in the stem and leaves sketch - the buds look very sculptural and slightly static in comparison.
Pohutukawa - Metrosideros exclesa
Pencil on paper
Copyright Denise I Ryan 2010
These are wonderful Denise. I hear you regarding finding the right position to work... my kitchen table became my studio table, my studio table became the floor.... etc. :/
ReplyDeleteThanks Louise. This sounds so familiar - looking around me, I think almost every raised surface (including chairs) is covered in art work of some kind or other! Are you in the garden yet?
ReplyDeleteI love the gestural quality and energy you bring into the sketch. I usually sit for my drawings, but this makes me want to stand. Love how you captured life!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Eva - a lovely compliment! Working at the easel really did make a difference...
ReplyDelete