Saturday, May 14, 2011

New Drawings

It's been raining heavily for most of the night and morning, however sunshine and bright blue sky have appeared behind the clouds and I can feel my spirits lifting. I've got two new drawings to show you today. I had started them several weeks ago and as often happens - they were put aside. A visiting friend happened to see them on my work table and asked me if I'd finish them specially for her - maple seed pods and nasturtiums being high amongst her favourite "things botanical". I'm in two minds about the development of the leaf and I'd be very interested in your comments in this regard. On one hand I feel that it works as is - on the other I feel that there is more to do. You know it goes...

I've listed the maple seed pod http://www.etsy.com/listing/74096869/maple-seed-pod-limited-edition-print on Etsy - it's a nice companion piece to my other pod drawing. Interestingly this latter piece was included in a delightful seed pod themed treasury today http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4dce6f87788e6d9181dc2eef/seedpod?index=0 - my warm thanks to stregata.

 Maple seed pod
Copyright Denise I Ryan 2011
Nasturtium leaf and bud
Copyright Denise I Ryan 2011

I hope you all are enjoying a relaxing and happy weekend.


7 comments:

  1. I love the drawings;the intricate veining on the leaf and seedpod is wonderful;you could go a bit darker maybe but not necessarily needed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are both rather neat, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire and Marie - thank you both. Your comment re. the leaf is very helpful Claire. It's such a fine balance sometimes isn't it... xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Denise. I love the seed pod from the Kowhai - you've done an amazing job with that. My macro lens would be proud of you!!! Do you prefer drawing from nature or do you also use photographs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Louise :)) I rarely draw from photographs, preferring to work from an actual specimen - usually something I've found. For the tiny details I wear glasses and use a magnifying glass, I do have a very STRANGE looking headset with changeable magnifying lenses (I'm sure I've mentioned this before). It's so cumbersome I've not actually used it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a joy to visit your blog and find such exquisite work. Beautiful, Denise. Love the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for your lovely comments Eva. The details are so absorbing that I'm always a little surprised by the result... a touch of mystery.

    ReplyDelete