Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rangiora and Hailstones

As I've had a cold for the past week I haven't done as much drawing as I'd intended to do, however I managed to finish this small pencil study. The plant is a native variety Brachyglottis repanda known locally as "Rangiora". It's found both in the wild and in domestic gardens and I have one growing in mine. The leaves are broad and heavily veined, and depending on the light, can appear to be a vivid green. This study is actually of the unopened flower buds which are tiny. As usual it's the form that intrigues...


Brachyglottis repanda 
Pencil studies on Arches paper
Copyright DI Ryan 2011

Brachyglottis repanda

Before I go, I thought I'd mention the freakish hailstorm we had on Tuesday afternoon. The hailstones were larger than usual and fell with real ferocity. Within minutes there was a layer of white over most surfaces - more than a little reminiscent of the snowfall we had some weeks ago. I have some vegetable seedlings I'd like to plant, but I think I'll hold off doing that until the weather is more stable.

My garden shortly after the hailstorm

Have a lovely, relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment