I’ve been away from the drawing table for a few weeks - family matters have kept me completely distracted. I did, however, manage some serious art book browsing. I’ve got a stack of library books sitting beside my favourite arm chair – they’re literally at arms reach, so there’s no excuse :) There’s a few how-to watercolour books, another on J M W Turner's colour sketches and one large hardback of Marino Marini 's incredible figurative sculptures. I first came across Turner and Marini at art school in and their work left a lasting impression… Turner’s “stripped back”, almost abstract paintings of sea and sky have had me looking more closely at the sky from my own windows. There’s been some very unusual cloud formations lately and I’ll need to do some serious practice before I’m able to do them justice. After a few unsuccessful (muddy) attempts, I turned my attention to a broken maple seed pod.. I know from past experience that this sort of “thrashing about” is part of a process, and I was able to concentrate fully on the close work - you know what it's like otherwise...
Broken Maple Seed Pod
Pencil and watercolour on Arches paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2012
Sky and Unusual Cloud Formations
Photograph
Copyright D I Ryan 2012
I hope you have a happy and relaxing weekend. Until next time.
I love looking through art books too and would love to paint skies like Turner!!
ReplyDeleteThe drawing is looking lovely xx
There's one particular painting in the book (pg.150), a few daubs of crimson paint (clouds) in a pale sky... Simply beautiful - it looks effortless!!
ReplyDeleteThank you re. my drawing. xx