I've been making an effort to go for lengthy walks as often as the weather permits and as so often happens, I find all sorts of interesting treasures to use as drawing or painting subjects. Pods and leaves always hold a special attraction, and this little curled, brown leaf had me reaching for my pencils the other day. It's beautifully coiled and crumpled - just the way I like it. As usual, I'm fascinated by what appears on the paper in front of me - it's always a little more than first perceived... I'm using a 2H pencil on a sheet of A5 Arches HP watercolour paper - my preference at the moment. I have to say it's a joy to be drawing again.
Dried Leaf Pencil
Studies
Copyright D I Ryan 2012
Before I finish today I'd just like to mention a botanical exhibition featuring 25 coloured drawings of Celmisia Species which is currently showing in Wellington at the New Zealand Department of Conservation Building in Manners Street. The artist Eleanor Burton is a Wellington based botanist - we met several years ago at a botanical art workshop, and I've admired her beautiful work since. For those of you who aren't able to make the exhibition, you can see some of her lovely pen and ink studies here Eleanor Burton
Have a great week. Until next time.
.
This little leaf is looking promising, can't wait to see the finished article. I will certainly check out your links to the exhibition.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jarnie :) I actually finished the leaf yesterday and will post it here soon - you can also take a peek at my FB page if you like..
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I couldn't get a direct link to Eleanor's exhibition, but the one above will take you to some of her lovely pen and ink drawings.
Lovely start, Didn't know you had a FB page,I'll have a look for you :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Claire. I resisted the FB "tide" for a long time, before eventually succumbing... :) The link is on the right side of this page above copyright information.
ReplyDelete