While reading Katherine Tyrell's (http://www.makingamark.blogspot.co.uk - 15/4/2010) excellent review of the the Society of Botanical Arts Silver Jubilee Exhibition - currently showing in London - I was intrigued by British botanical artist Billy Showell's six shoe paintings. As my craft work concentrates upon the shoe as subject - I found this twist on traditional botanical painting to be extremely interesting. I've since come across the photographer Micel Tcherevkoff whose book 'Shoe Fleur: A footwear Fantasy' - in which he transforms plants into shoe forms - contains some extraordinary images. The book is readily available through Amazon and Fishpond (http://www.Fishpond.co.nz).
'Tyra'
Pencil, coloured pencil and ink on Bockingford watercolour paper
Copyright Denise I Ryan 2010
Interestingly, only days before I read the art review I'd been thinking of incorporating more overt botanical imagery - an ongoing influence - into my own shoe drawings. It seemed to be a natural progression... Newly inspired, I've been hard at work and you can see my latest effort above. My artistic concerns remain the same - a delight in sculptural forms and an eye for detail - however these images are very much an imaginative exercise and I'm greatly enjoying the creative freedom involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment