This is a drawing that I actually finished two years ago but which I've recently reworked. My ( long gone) subject was a small apple which came complete with leaf and stem part. I thought it enchanting and intended to draw it at once - however the days passed, the weather was warm, I didn't begin the drawing, and eventually the apple began to decay. I noticed the skin beginning to pucker and it occurred to me that these changes were quite beautiful. I let the decaying process continue for some time before I eventually picked up my pencil... This is the result.
"Decaying Apple"
Pencil on drawing paper
Copyright (All rights reserved) Denise I Ryan
Great subject, Denise! There is so much beauty in decay. More texture, color, movement. You captured all of that beautifully. I love how the stem and twisted, fragile leaf rise from the apple. Very fitting as we head into fall. (Spring for you?)
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful Denise, the detail is so intricate and meticulously recorded - amazing! I do that with my plant specimens you know, I photograph them and then press them, and re photograph them. Or leave them sitting somewhere to do their own thing. It's amazing, isn't it - the change that takes place. It would be cool to film it and speed it up!
ReplyDeleteThank you both - your lovely comments are always very much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteLouise - your photographs are very evocative of those changes...
Eva - it's definitely warmer here, however the grey, unsettled days are lingering and strangely, I'm still finding leaves in autumn colours?