You are, I'm sure, very aware of the destructive 7.1 magnitude earthquake which struck Christchurch
http://www.christchurch.org.nz/ several days ago. Powerful aftershocks were reported again this morning and may continue for some time yet. A state of emergency was still in place today and is expected to be lifted tomorrow. The good news is that power and water supplies have been returned to a large part of the affected area, and that there have been only two serious injuries reported and no fatalities, which is quite remarkable given the destructive power of the quake. Many of the city's lovely historic brick buildings have been damaged, and there is an enormous amount of work to be done to restore things to some degree of normality. A tumultuous week...
I took this photo of a fern frond from my bedroom window this morning - and yes, it is a little overgrown out there! I've also included a partially completed sketch of a maple seed pod which I found while out walking. I love the thread of the surface veins - a challenge to render!
Images Copyright Denise I Ryan 2010
That seed pod!! I picked one up last year and photographed it, 'Nature's Angel' is the image...
ReplyDeleteAmazing nature...
We are lucky folk to not be in Christchurch you are right, and we ought to feel more grateful too for what we have around us... life never is telling with what is in store.
Have I seen the photograph? Is it in either of your shops? I'm sure it's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteVery true...