Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Drawing update

As I sit at my computer today, I'm also casting an occasional gaze out of the window - marvelling at the clear blue sky!! We had an intense cold snap earlier this week which brought heavy snowfall to many parts of the country otherwise unused to such extreme temperatures and conditions. This morning however, it feels like spring!! In response, several of my potted bulbs are starting to show - otherwise my garden is a wilderness!! If these fine days continue (fingers crossed) and it dries out a little (a lot), I'll even attempt some long overdue gardening!!  In fact, it's probably a good time to invest in some sturdy gumboots (wellies).

Browsing through some of my art books recently, I happened across a fifty plus year old illustrated paperback (a gift from a friend) titled "Graphic Art of Japan" by Owen E. Holloway - Academy Editions, London 1957. The featured artists and artwork are from the Kyoto and Osaka classical schools and worked at the turn of the 18th century. I was once again struck by the utterly 'modern' composition and use of negative space - so much is revealed, despite the economy of line. It's a lovely, inspiring little book and well worth a read if you can find a copy somewhere...


I've been continuing to work on my latest maple seed pod drawing and you can see this below.

"Maple Seed Pods" study on paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2011

And just because they're lovely...


 Purple irises

 Until next time - enjoy the rest of your week.

7 comments:

  1. I love your maple seed pods,they make a great composition.Glad you're having some fine weather-ours isn't too bad either-getting some sun for once! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire - they're endlessly fascinating. I hope you're having a warm and relaxing weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your maple seed drawing - beautiful Denise! :) I used to buy Irises every day as they are relatively cheap and last for a whole week! Will you draw them next? :) Hope you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I have to say, those treasuries on the right - did you make all those? They are just so beautiful!!! I could wallpaper my house with them and never, ever tire of it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise - thank you very much!! The irises do seem to last that little bit longer don't they, which is very nice - I've not long thrown those in the pic out. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps. Yes, the treasures are mostly mine though there are also a few lovely ones by other sellers which feature my work - thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete