Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sophora and Seed Pods

It's Labour Day on Monday - a public holiday, and one that also marks the beginning of the "golden weather". Definitely something to look forward to, as despite beautiful blue skies, the cooler temperatures continue to linger.

Changeable spring weather also means that there're plenty of wonderful botanical subjects to choose from. I've been working on a Kowhai (Sophora) flower study over the past week. The golden yellow of the petals was quite tricky to match and I may yet add a few finishing touches before I list the work on Etsy.

Kowhai (Sophora) 
Watercolour and Pencil on Canson paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2011

I also finished a maple seed pod skeleton. I did a A5 pencil study first and then a second using watercolour. I'm not sure if I've truly captured the delicacy of the seed pod in this work... I have thoughts of doing a third and smaller study on a larger piece of paper.

Maple Seed pod skeleton
Pencil and watercolour on Canson paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2011

Finally, I've added one of my latest Etsy treasuries www.etsy.com/treasury/MTI0NDYzNDF8ODE1NTAxODMy/the-garden - The Garden. A big thank you to all of the artists/makers and sellers for such beautiful listings. 

I hope you're all having a lovely week - until next time.

11 comments:

  1. Kowhai flowers are out in trees in my area now, just delightful cheerers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are just starting to fall here Marie - they are beautiful in full bloom aren't they. There seemed to be one in every second garden this year! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, stunning and even more stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que trabajo tan delicado, me encantan tus obras, saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise and Mononoke - thank you so much for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful work ,I'd love to visit NZ and see the Kowhai. Etsy certainly looks interesting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Claire :) I'm sure you'd love it here x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite! Such a delicate little seed and you captured the translucence perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely of you to say so Eva - I was actually in two minds about this drawing and I'm now greatly reassured. :)

      Delete