Thursday, November 3, 2011

November

Already it's the fourth of November... We're still being buffeted by gale force winds and snowfall is predicted for parts of the South Island!! The sun is shining however, and it's definitely warmer, so I can't complain. There's also lots of interesting activity in the garden. The vegetable seedlings that I planted a few weeks ago are thriving - along with some very rampant mint! The nearby Phormium cookianum flax shrub has six new stems which are on the verge of opening. It's beautifully sculptural and a favourite of mine.


Phormium cookianum
Photographs
Copyright D I Ryan 2011

I've made a series of drawings over the past few years showing the developmental stages of the seed pods.

 Phormium cookianum
Seed pod study in pencil
Copright D I Ryan 2011

You can see the rest of the series here in my Etsy shop Phormium cookianum .

Even more seed pods...

Sprouting seed pods
Photograph
Copyright D I Ryan 2011

Last, but not least - I had a lovely surprise today. A very talented fellow artist on Etsy www.etsy.com/shop/RachelQLanders has very kindly featured my shop and artwork on her own blog. You can read more here Rachel Q Landers Sisk Many thanks Rachel.

Finally, a warm hello to my new blog followers (including Rachel). Have a great weekend. 

Until next time.

8 comments:

  1. Love Phormiums too-I have a couple. and congrats on the feature-thats really brilliant xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Claire - it's wonderful :) Did you plant them yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful, beautiful drawing....hope the snow does not last:) happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Laura :) The unseasonable snowfall has passed and the sun is shining in Wellington today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your wonderful blog. Your graphite study is simply gorgeous, so much detail and realism. Architectural plants have such an elegant simplicity which I also find intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello and thank you very much for your lovely comment. Elegant simplicity is a perfect way to describe the form of these plants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the composition in this drawing. So beautiful how the leaves fade...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Eva - it's a favourite of mine too. :)

    ReplyDelete