On a brighter note, I've almost finished my new leaf study. It's a painstaking job as I've been adding even more detail than usual! After a short break I'm fascinated by what I see with fresh eyes - this time I'm reminded of a miniature landscape...
Leaf Study II
Watercolour on Arches Paper
Copyright D I Ryan 2011
I managed to get these photos of a Tui feeding on Phormium cookianum nectar recently. Being feisty and quick movers, it's not easy to get near them. They look black from a distance but their feathers are full of iridescent colour close up!!
Tuis Feeding
Photographs
Copyright D I Ryan 2011
Have a lovely weekend. Until next time.
The leaf is lovely, almost like furrowed fields and the texture exquisite. There is something satisfying coming back to a piece and seeing new things, feeling ready to tackle changes to completion.
ReplyDeleteI hope warmer weather comes your way soon. Here the weather's unusually warm for December with a high of 11C tomorrow. Odd for this time of year when it should be frosty. But I'll take it.
The bird looks quite interesting, I will have to look them on online and find out more about them.
The leaf is truly beautiful. It really does look crunchy and the detail in the folds are astonishing. Weather is not much better here. Yesterday was extremely windy and one of the Jakdaws that inhabit our garden, (known as 'The Clumsy Boys')knocked a tile off our roof!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Jeanette. I agree, it's extremely satisfying - all the more if you've been struggling and feeling lost. It's as if the seasons are slipping out of place isn't it... Tuis are fascinating birds and well worth investigating. I've included some good links in a number of older posts if that helps.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck with your new painting!
Many thanks Sketchbook Squirrel. The leaf is partly dried (crunchy) and yet the folds have a softness to them as well. It's very easy to get lost in the detail... I love the Jackdaws' nickname - the wind must have been quite wild!
ReplyDeleteThe seasons are crazy even way over here - our 'summer' is all over the place with terrible thunderstorms, rain, damaging winds etc. But I'm not too worried because at least it's not too hot. Sorry to hear about yet another earthquake in poor old NZ ... Your leaf study is wonderful, hope you are feeling inspired ...
ReplyDeleteLoving the detail in your leaf landscape-I love getting lost in the detail and textures.
ReplyDeleteEek,I don't like the sound of those earthquakes-Hope that stops.
We have a bad storm here today-so I'm staying in!!
Hello Vicki and Claire - thank you for your lovely comments re. my leaf. It does seem as if the unstable weather is a global problem doesn't it. I heard on the news tonight that Scotland was being battered by storms and record winds!! Hopefully it will all settle soon.. Take care. :)
ReplyDelete